2016 Summer Remodeling Trends
The year 2016 is shaping up to be a great year to get your home remodeled! You may already know what you want for your upcoming renovation, but knowing what other homeowners are doing can help you refine your plans. The following home remodel and design trends are the hottest projects you'll see gracing the covers of remodeling magazines and websites.
Open Floor Plans
Open kitchens that lead directly into the living room or dining room area allow family members to mingle, talk and share time together. Open floor plans are also perfect for homeowners who enjoy entertaining friends and guests on the weekends, because they allow for foot traffic in and out of the kitchen.
If you're looking for a way to maintain a sense of boundary between the two rooms, install an island at the edge of the kitchen, and leave space on the living room side for bar stools and seating.
Luxurious Stainless Steel Appliances
High end appliances are making an appearance in homes across the country. Wine coolers, specialized ovens and high-end refrigerators have a more prominent place in the market than they did several years ago. Stainless steel continues to be popular, especially now that many companies are making improvements to the material. Many new stainless steel appliances show fewer fingerprints than in years past, and some brands have even started to add color to stainless steel.
Stainless steel continues to be popular, especially now that many companies are making improvements to the material. Many new stainless steel appliances show fewer fingerprints than in years past, and some brands have even started to add color to stainless steel.
More than ever, homeowners are in search of practical building materials that need little upkeep and maintenance. Some examples of these materials include:
- Quartz countertops. Quartz provides all the beauty of other stone countertops, but requires almost no maintenance. Quartz doesn't stain, melt, crack or warp.
- Composite decking. Composite decking has the appearance of natural wood, but with the strength and durability of a wood and plastic hybrid. Unlike standard deck building materials, composite decking requires no sealing and staining. Regular washing is all it takes to keep composite decking looking its best.
- Metal roofing. Shingles can curl and blow off, but metal roofing lasts and lasts. With almost no maintenance required, metal roofing is impenetrable and strong--exactly what you want in a roofing material.
Everyone wants to save money on energy and utilities, which makes green renovations more popular than ever. Some common green renovations include:
- Installation of low flow fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Installation of ENERGY STAR appliances.
- Window replacement with low-e glass.
- Exterior door replacement for greater energy efficiency.
White Kitchens with Creative Accents of Color
White kitchens have now been popular for several years, but some homeowners are seeking ways to integrate color into their beautiful white walls and countertops. Installation of colorful tiles in the backsplash and floors is one way that some homeowners are able to achieve the simple beauty of a white kitchen along with a hint of colorful patterns and designs.
Bathrooms are taking on a whole new role in the house, with creative light fixtures, extra storage space and bold color choices. If you're hoping to take on a bathroom renovation this summer, consider adding creative fixtures like a pedestal bathtub and customized storage solutions.
Litchfield Builders is New Haven's premiere general contractor. With over 25 years experience, we're a trusted name in home and business remodeling in the area. For more information about how you can dress up your home in 2016, contact us today.